Monday, December 30, 2013





"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act but a habit."

Aristotle

Thought for the day...........troubled lives also have repetition in them..but undesirable repetition.
In my practice in psychotherapy (until I retired after 35 years) my clients, as they became more and more motivated to change...would ask me what they could DO to facilitate change.

I often responded with...."let's talk about that...but once you decide on what you want to do differently I recommend you do that thing many times in one week...and then see if you are moving towards change. If so,  then do it many times the next week as well.  Over time you become more and more motivated by the change you see in yourself. You realize change, often in stages...is still possible."

example-----if you want to improve a relationship with someone then DO SOMETHING FOR THAT PERSON A SIGNIFICANT NUMBER OF TIMES IN ONE WEEK.  See how it turns out. 


1 comment:

  1. Thank-you for this thought!
    It is so difficult to change the old self, but not impossible!! Even at our old age:)

    Raquel Musgrave

    ReplyDelete