Tuesday, December 10, 2013

I have not posted anything for awhile as I am not sure if anyone is interested in these little thoughts that I have from time to time.  But I will continue for awhile and see how it goes. It is fun to think about these things so I hope they are of some benefit to others.  Jim MacArthur



Here is something I have taught for years:   "You DO NOT HAVE TO BE PUT TOGETHER PERFECTLY.....so do not have to overcome all your deficits, problems, or weaknesses...... IN ORDER TO REACH OUT AND HELP OTHERS IN A VERY POWERFUL WAY.  As a matter of fact, in my many years of work as a psychologist I have had numerous people tell me that they actually learn MORE from those who struggle to overcome their own weaknesses because they seem to have a certain empathy...a deeper understanding of the difficulties of others.  Perhaps it is because they, too, have traveled or are still traveling a challenging road in life.  So they "get it" when you talk and share and reach out for some help.  They are more "in tune" with the steps you are trying to take.

So, rather than be depressed or lamenting the challenges of your past....turn them into advantages by using them to augment your personal wisdom and increasing your ability to empathize with and reach out to others to strengthen them in their moments of need.
Those who have been "soldiers" on the battlefields of life....can walk with you knowingly and with deeper understanding of the battles you are fighting as well.  Therefore, your own challenges in life can make you smarter and wiser and can equip you with that which you need to walk with those who are struggling. You put your arm around them and help them walk...but you do it in a different way due to your own experiences which now are your teachers."


2 comments:

  1. Presidente, siempre leo sus publicaciones, claro no podrá escribir solo para mí , pero sepa que me ayuda mucho su manera de ver y ser --- les amamos y recordamos always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Jim! However, we are taught we need to work towards perfection as our Savior is perfect. I think what happens to some or most of us is that we forget that on earth we will not be perfected. It will not be until later we will be perfected. I just don't want anyone to know I'm not already there!
    I have become very good at hiding it around others and beating myself up when I am alone.

    ReplyDelete