Sunday, January 12, 2014

I think HUMOR is very importantWe need to laugh....it is good for physical and psychological health. It can build human relationships if done appropriately.  When you are with others and you laugh together, quite often it seems to communicate "We like being together."  That is especially important in families. Families should play together and have some fun. Not everything should be serious in a family.
So here is my attempt at humor today (my kids will say I have a weird sense of humor....)

So, a few years ago Sherri and I were visiting our son Don, his wife Jennifer and their four children in Kansas.  While we were there, Don remembered that when our children were little quite regularly I would do what we called "INTERVIEWS"  I am not sure why I gave them that name because what we did during "interviews" was....each one of our ten children would go with me, one at a time, to the family room or a bedroom, or some place where we could chat casually about things like "how is school going?  How are things going with your friends?  How do you feel about things in the family or at church?  What makes you happy or sad?  What is the best thing that has happened to you recently or the worst thing....."  Simple questions like that designed to allow me, as the dad, to just chat with each one of my kids privately (hard to get one on one time in a family of 12)....so that I could "keep in touch" with how their lives were going so I could encourage them or be of help if necessary.
So, during this visit with our son Don and his family in Kansas....Don had the brilliant idea of me, as the granddad having the SAME TYPE OF INDIVIDUAL CHATS with his four kids as I used to have with him and his nine siblings years ago!!  He thought it would be FUN for his kids to experience with me the same thing our ten children experienced with me  many years ago.
It sounded like a good idea so we decided to do it.  Their four kids were all for it.  A personal chat with grandpa, wow!  Sounded fun to them.

I decided to start with  Reese, who was 5 years old at the time.  She and I went into one of the kid's rooms and jumped up on one of the bunk beds and began our "interview" or "chat"...Just Reese and Grandpa Sparky...... I began the conversation by asking her "Reese, what would YOU like to talk about?"  I had no idea what was coming.......She sat there for about a minute just looking at me...she seemed to be studying my face..."but no, it couldn't be that..." I thought to myself...

Suddenly her eyes got real big and she blurted out "GRANDPA, WHY IS YOUR NOSE SO BIG??"
I was totally caught off guard by her question so I just broke into a big laugh and so did she...then I gathered myself together and looked at her and tried to explain that as people get older their noses keep growing so sometimes they seem bigger as you get older....  She looked a little confused but seemed satisfied with my answer...

After that interview I went out and told Don and Jenni what she had said and they both laughed but I thought Don was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard.  Good ol Reesy...she is the best.  By they way, retelling this story to you just made me think I should go in the bathroom and check to see if my nose has grown even more since that "interview" with Reese MacArthur...

Have a good day and try to laugh enough to relax and enjoy life....it will do you some good.  Your friend,  Jim "Big Nose" MacArthur  now in Utah after three years in Chile....,

1 comment:

  1. I love you, Dad! Have you ever researched WHY noses keep growing when nothing else does?

    ReplyDelete