Saturday, July 12, 2014



Any of you who read my blog with any degree of regularity know that I write about a wide variety of themes and topics--mostly it will be something I have been reading lately or sometimes something I have learned that I am passing along.

Today I will share something I have recently learned.

 I take a publication called  HEALTH RADAR which shares information on healthy advice and practices that are intended to be of benefit to the general public.

The July, 2014 issue just came and I found several things I would like to share:

5 Factors that Reverse Heart Disease

1. Increase fiber
2. East more fish
3. Increase nutrient levels ( eating a healthy diet will provide most vitamins and nutrients, but not necessarily all that your heart needs) "supplements can benefit your heart needs even if you eat well, exercise regularly, and manage stress," says Dr. Masley author of  The 30 day Heart Tune-up... He recommends taking a daily, well balanced multivitamin. Consult with your doctor if you  have special needs.
4. Reduce body fat
5. Increase your fitness.  "People who exercise regularly have 40% fewer heart attacks, strokes or cases of sudden death." says Dr Masley. "Regular exercise can help turn a sick, stiff, plaque-coated artery into a healthy one"  He believes that eventually exercise needs to be "intense to reverse heart disease."
But the Jim MacArthur method which I have been applying since I got home from my mission is to begin with whatever you can reasonably do but challenge yourself a little...and then increase your exercise to a point where it is evidence of doing something that stretches you a little."
I started with a 20 minute walk and am now doing 2 hours every morning of brisk walking and I "sprinkle" in about 15 minutes of jogging during the time I am out.  I intend to do longer and longer walks with a little more jogging. My next birthday is 70 so I am trying to be aware of my knees, hips etc...but I do feel I need to push myself a little to strengthen my overall body.

One final observation from this month's HEALTH RADAR is this--from a segment called FIT AFTER 50............ "the most important indicator of a person's risk for heart problems and diabetes is their current weight."

Well, there may be some who will dispute some of this but I have been a jogger most of my adult life and have had a few bouts with borderline diabetes which required me to meet with a clinical dietitian (I now have one in my family--my daughter Lori!!) and to do a lot of reading about how to improve one's adult health.

All that I have read, from MANY different sources tells me that there are several things that makes a HUGE difference in improving your general health and they are: 1) maintain a level of weight that is appropriate for your height 2) have a regular exercise program that challenges you a little 3) do things that help you with stress reduction 4) eat healthily and AVOID JUNK FOOD..GET RID OF SODA!  5) get a regular good night's sleep that is restful.

So if this helps you  to think about how to improve your health then you will be able to live a more quality life and to be with your family.  Have a nice day. Jim


No comments:

Post a Comment