Tuesday, May 13, 2014




One of the continuing HOT TOPICS of today....one that has been talked about for as long as I can remember is CHANGE--PERSONAL CHANGE.

Most of us want to change something about ourselves.  That is why I like the ten scale.  I can take ANYTHING I potentially want to change in myself and then take the all important step one which is to assess WHERE I AM NOW.

Example, suppose I want to be physically healthier......step one is to rate myself on a ten scale to determine how healthy I think I am now (today).  Suppose I rate myself a 5.  That means that if 10 is ideal and 0 is very poor--5 means what?  I am average (in my own opinion). If you really want to pin down the accuracy of your own assessment then ask a couple of good friends or family members what number they would give you-and tell them TO BE HONEST.  Anything less than an complete honesty assessment won't help much.

What if I think maybe I am depressed and I want to feel better mentally?  Step one is?  Assess yourself on the ten scale.  I have struggled with depression and anxiety my whole life so I am regularly interested in how I am doing now and what I can do to improve my situation. Why should I care?  Because my depression affects ME, MY FAMILY, MY GRANDCHILDREN, MY CHURCH SERVICE, MY RELATIONSHIPS, MY JOB (well, I retired not long ago so my "job" now is just to bug Sherri every day!! :)
OK, so if I ask myself what rating I would give myself on my depression as of May, 2014 I would say about 5.  That is not real bad but the crucial question is "does that level of depression affect me, my family, others things I want to do?"  If it does then I need to do some more work.

So, if you have been following my blog for any length of time you know I am BIG on SELF-ASSESSMENT.  Because if you do not know where you are on a certain characteristic (like depression) then how do you know if you need to take some steps to move to a better place?

So here is my THOUGHT FOR THE DAYIt can transform your life if you do it........

IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE SOME ASPECT OF YOUR LIFE...THEN YOU MUST DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT THAN YOU ARE DOING NOW.

And if you REALLY want to take that and run with it......then do two more things:  tell someone else what you are going to do and record your progress each day in written form.  If you don' t do that then you have no evidence of change.

Ok--one more time folks.  This sentence can change your life but only if you do it, tell someone, and track your progress in written form.  Don't quit easily.  You are doing it for yourself, your family, your career, important people in your life.

IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE SOME ASPECT OF YOUR LIFE TO ANY DEGREE...THEN YOU MUST DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT THAN YOU ARE DOING NOW.

Let me know how it goes (sparky7264@gmail.com)..have a nice day.  Jim

2 comments:

  1. Wise words from a wise guy. Thanks for sharing your gems of knowledge. Love 'em. <3
    :) special

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that it works, I applied 2 years of my life and I changed a lot. Thank you for your always wise and good advices president

    ReplyDelete