Tuesday, April 1, 2014



When I taught at BYU from 72 to 2010 I had my students do a very interesting exercise designed to help them get in touch with the characteristics of others that inspired them and blessed them in their lives. I asked them to name THREE people in their lives who profoundly influenced their lives and then write in their journal WHY those people had such a powerful effect. Also to attempt to describe the major personal characteristics of those people might give them an idea of some areas of their lives they might want to strengthen.

So HERE ARE MY THREE PEOPLE (tough to choose as there are many more than three)
(not in any priority order)



1.  William J Davis, history teacher and student government advisor at Coronado High School in Coronado, CA from the 40's to the 70's.
First, he liked me. He knew I was in a tough situation in my life so ANYTIME I wanted I could drop by his house and just chat and he would give me awesome books to read.  I wanted to be like him as he was a man of strength, integrity and served others without needing anything in return,  When my second son was born we named him David William MacArthur and the "William" was to honor Mr. Davis, my favorite and most inspiring teacher in high school

2.  Sherri MacArthur, my wife of aslmost 46 years,  She is an example of pure integrity and selflessness.  And she is a superb mother.  There is nothing more important to the well being of this world than for there to be MANY dedicated mothers who put their families first.

3.  Jim Petersen, my friend since our earliest days as new students at BYU in 1963,  We have been good friends for more than 50 years now and have been through many wonderful and many tragic experiences together,  He is a faithful friend--not many of those who can last 50 years in this world of today.

I would also say that my ten children: Toran, David, Paul, Mike, Lindi, Lori, Don, Debbie, Mark and Sharolyn  are the most amazing people I have ever met.  They have helped me progress in my life and I would do anything for them.


Of all the Presidents of the Church (I love and respect them all) there are several who really inspired me to try to be a better Church member---Joseph Smith, David O McKay, Spencer W Kimball and Gordon B Hinckley.  Great prophets of God.

Chad Lewis wrote a book about how great people in his life affected him---get it and read it.  Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment