Wednesday, April 16, 2014




INFLUENCE is a great gift that some people have quite naturally...but anyone can learn it if they sense the importance of it and get a few suggestions on how to do it.

Influence simply means you can affect others (hopefully in a positive way).....

If you would like to influence others more positively then here are two things you can do that likely will give you greater positive influence among others:

BE FRIENDLIER.  How do you do that?  One thing that helps is to smile more.  If you have a scowl on your face you tend to distance people.  They fear you.  Next, make contact with each person in the group you are talking to.  You can do that by saying their name, shaking hands, waving to them,  talking to them, listening to them.....but the key word is CONTACT.  That means you find a way to make some form of human contact with them (above is just a beginning list...there are many other ways..do some brainstorming).....this is a great topic for Family Home Evening...question for the night in your family lesson is "Why is being friendly important and how can we do more of it?"  Then just list the ideas of the family members on a whiteboard and then give everyone a copy.  Send your family friendliness list to others via email.  SPREAD THE WORD!!

CEASE ALL NEGATIVE COMMENTARY ABOUT OTHERS.  That is a really powerful way to have a more positive influence on others. REFUSE to let negative words and criticisms, gossip, joking about others, backbiting come out of your mouth.  Try it for even a day and you will see a difference. Plus you will be a better example for your children and others around you.  Making fun of others, humiliating, and excessive teasing all all forms of negative influence. Stop them.  Be a source of light and joy by doing these things and by being, above all the other things...FRIENDLIER...and start today.

In my practice in psychology I have suggested that to some of my clients and some respond with "I am not that type of person so I probably won't do it"....and I respond with "And WHO decided you are NOT that type of person?"  Interesting question.
Whether you are "that type of person or not" you can DO a friendliness behavior such as comes from your own list or the list above whenever you choose to....you can do just ONE thing and see how you feel afterwards as you come to realize the POWER FOR GOOD...THE INFLUENCE FOR GOOD YOU can be if that is your decision........even a decision for one hour or one day...try it...you might like it.  Jim

1 comment:

  1. Great suggestions!

    Before mission I was not very friendly, but when I step on my mission I realize that if I wanted to have sucess, the only way to conquer that was through smiles and talking to people, to radiade the light of Christ! and that was smiling.

    I started to fake it, after some weeks it was so natural, I was a happier person, and I realize that I liked more that version of myself than the old one. Now I am different, and how President MacArthur taught my, people always change, but more important, they decide to change.

    The smiling version of my is way better, thanks president for all of your advices! love you

    ReplyDelete