Saturday, February 22, 2014





When you get along in years (like I am...69 coming up in a couple of months) and your child raising years are behind you (in terms of having them in your own home and under your own more direct guidance) on some days your lip trembles a bit in sadness and on other days you smile happily as you remember your developing efforts while learning to be a parent.

So I will be a little personal here (unlike me, right? :)    I grew up never seeing a functional family in my own home.  So I came into marriage and parenting not knowing much about some very important things...like how to control my emotions when I got overwhelmed and angry.  That was probably my worst mistake that I regret the most during the early years of raising my ten children.  Sherri had no problem with any of that---she is level headed, mature, consistent and sensible and sensitive...all traits I needed more of but did not have enough of...I am happy to say I have worked on them and have gotten better but I still live in the fear of making significant mistakes as a parent and grandparent due to the fact that I have not sufficiently "learned my parenting lessons."  But it is also important NOT to be too hard on yourself as everyone has their weaknesses as a parent and spouse.  The truly important thing is to not get too comfortable and to quit learning and progressing.  Get feedback from some in your family and see where you can improve. That is very important.
In my professional and personal opinion...good marriages are 20% "found" and 80% "built"......likewise with good families...the 20/80 rule applies there as well.  I CAN TELL YOU WITH 100% CONFIDENCE THAT GOOD AND IMPROVING FAMILIES DO NOT JUST MAGICALLY OR ACCIDENTALLY IMPROVE.  THEY REQUIRE A PLAN, WAYS TO CHECK ON IF THE PLAN IS WORKING, EVERYONE IN THE FAMILY IS IN ON THE PLAN....AND CELEBRATION AS THE PLAN "WORKS."  The parents are always in charge of the plan. Always.  The children are always part of implementing the plan...always.

So here is a suggestion from President Gordon B Hinckley about something he thinks serves to strengthen families.  He is so down to earth that I like what he says.  For years I have said there are THREE FUNDAMENTAL THINGS that can change a family faster than anything else:  regular family prayer morning and night, family scripture reading at a time when the kids mostly enjoy it, and family home evening once a week without fail.

President Hinckley:  " Twice blessed is the child who, while he or she is so young as perhaps to be unable to comprehend the words, can nevertheless feel the spirit of prayer as a loving mother or a kind father helps with a few words of prayer at bedtime.
Fortunate, indeed, are the boys and girls, including those in their teens, in whose homes there is the practice of morning and evening family prayer.
I know of no better way to develop a spirit of appreciation in children than for all of the members of the family to kneel to thank the Lord for his blessings.  Such humble expression will do wonders to build within the hearts of children a recognition of the fact that God is the source of the precious gifts we have.
I know of no better way to cultivate a desire to do what is right than to humbly ask for forgiveness from him whose right it is to forgive, and to ask for strength to live above weakness.
LET PRAYER, NIGHT AND MORNING, AS A FAMILY AND AS INDIVIDUALS, BECOME A PRACTICE IN WHICH CHILDREN GROW WHILE YET YOUNG.  IT WILL BLESS THEIR LIVES FOREVER. NO PARENT IN THIS CHURCH CAN AFFORD TO NEGLECT IT."

***** "ask for the strenth to live above weakness..." Pres. Hinckley says. THAT is one of the most crucial things every parent must learn to do.  Too many losers if he or she does not learn that.

President Gordon B Hinckley
First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
from Temple Square in Salt Lake City   27 January 1985

No comments:

Post a Comment