Sunday, February 23, 2014




A lesson from a bee..................

Elder James E. Talmage of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints related this personal experience that he had while writing in a room set aside just for that purpose.

"A bee once entered a room where I was writing. The bee came from some nearby hills, and for an hour or two, I heard the buzzing of it's flight.  This little creature came to believe he was a prisoner, nevertheless, all of his efforts toward finding an exit near the small opening where he came in failed.
  
When I was ready to close the room and go, I opened the window and tried to guide and finally force the bee toward freedom and security, knowing that if he remained in the room, he would die like the other trapped insects in the room in the dry atmosphere.  But the harder I tried to help it get out, with even greater determination it opposed me and resisted my efforts.  His previously pleasing buzzing changed into a sound of fury, and his rapid flight became threatening and hostile.
It was then that it suddenly stung my hand...the hand that had tried to guide it to liberty.  Finally it landed on a small overhang near the ceiling, far from where I could help it or hurt it.
Interestingly, the pain of the sting on my hand provoked in me more sadness than anger.  I recognized the inevitable price he would pay for his misguided opposition and challenge, but I had to leave him to his destiny.  Three days later I returned to the room and found on the desk the dry lifeless body of the bee.  
His life had been the price he paid for his stubbornness.

Liahona magazine, February, 2003, pages 36-37.

How can you personally apply to your life the lesson taught to you by the bee?

No comments:

Post a Comment